Under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984 anyone intending to carry out demolition work is required to notify the Council. This generally applies to the demolition of any building or part of a building greater than 1750 cubic feet. (50 cubic metres) Further details are shown in the extract from the Building Act at the end of this section but if you are in any way unsure please contact us:-

Fylde Borough Council, Building Control, Town Hall, St. Anne's, Lancs, FY8 1LW 

Tel 01253 658674

Fax 01253 713113


Notice should be given in writing and should include details of the building to which it relates and the works of demolition intended to be carried out. The Council then has six weeks to respond with appropriate notices and consultation under Sections 81 and 82 of the Building Act. this process normally only takes a few days.

Extract from Building Act 1984

80.-(1) This section applies to the demolition of the whole or part of a building except-

a. a demolition in pursuance of a demolition order made under the Housing Act 1957, and

b. a demolition-

i. of an internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and it is intended that it should continue to be occupied,

ii. of a building that has a cubic content (as ascertained by external measurement) of not more than 1750 cubic feet, or, where a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage forms part of a larger building, of the greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage, or

iii. without prejudice to sub-paragraph (ii) above, of an agricultural building (as defined in section 26 of the General Act 1967), unless it is contiguous to another building that is not itself an agricultural building are a building of a kind mentioned in that sub-paragraph.