Caravan Site Licensing

Caravan Site Licensing

There are over 50 licensed caravan sites in the Fylde Borough Area. These vary from touring sites, static holiday sites and residential sites  (often referred to as park homes), or any combination of these.

The term caravan legally includes those which can be towed behind cars, motor homes, static holiday homes and residential park homes, which often arrive on site in two sections and are then bolted together.


The law covering caravans is contained in:

  • Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960- This act covers the licensing of caravan sites and the safety, welfare and management conditions which need to be provided.
  • Caravan Sites Act 1968- This act deals with protection from eviction from residential sites and the maximum dimensions for caravans:

                           - Length 20 metres;

                           - Width 6.8 metres;

                           - Height 3.05 metres

  •   The Mobile Home Act 2013- This act covers the civil law between site owners and residents on 'protected sites'. A protected site is one which has planning permission for permanent residential use and has been issued with a site licence. From 1st April 2014, a local authority can charge a fee to the site owner on an annual basis as we as for issuing and transferring a licence.

A copy of the Council’s Mobile Home’s Fee Policy can be accessed via related downloads section

The first two Acts are enforced by the local authority but the Mobile Homes Act may involve action by residents or site owners in the Residential Property Tribunal Service to resolve any disputes. 


Application's for site licences are made to the local authority:

  •  In whose area the land is situated.
  • Application's must be in writing.
  • Should detail the land the application concerns and any other information required by the local authority such as a current plan of the site.

In order to be eligible to be issued a licence the applicant must:

  •  Be entitled to use the land as a caravan site.
  • Land must be used for human habitation.
  • The site must have planning permission before we can licence it.
  • The licence does not usually have an expiry date, but if the planning permission if for a limited period the licence must expire at the same time.
  •  Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

The local authority can only issue a licence for a new caravan site after it has received the necessary planning permission and a completed application for a site licence.

Change of ownership

  • If the site ownership changes, the council may agree to transfer an existing licence to a new licensee.


Anyone wishing to apply for a licence can complete and return the following application form.

 How long will it take to process my application?

Our target for issuing a licence is 42 days from when we receive all the information we need. 

In some situation's the decision to amend, add or remove a condition from your existing licence may need to be refereed to Public Protection Committee for determination. In such circumstances we will inform you of the process within the 42 day period.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application has been granted if you have not heard from us by the target date.

What redress do I have if may application fails?

You are advised take the matter up with the local authority first.  

If a licence holder is refused an application to alter a condition they may appeal to the local Magistrates Court. The appeal musty be within the 28 days of the written notification of the refusal and a notice of appeal must be served on the Council.

Site Licence Conditions

Licence conditions vary slightly different between residential sites, holiday sites, and for touring site. The following standard conditions are available detailing the different Model Standards:

Conditions may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:

  • Restricting when the caravan can be used on site for human habitation or restricting the number of caravans that can be on the site at any one time.
  • Controlling the type of caravan on the site.
  • Fire safety and fire fighting controls.
  • Controlling the positioning of the caravans.
  • To ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained.


Exemptions from licensing are available for certain reasons e.g.

  • Caravans used for short periods.
  • Sites run by recognised caravan organisation's.
  • Agriculture or forestry workers and showman.

Can consumes complain about a licence related issue?

We would advise that in an event of a complaint the first contact is made with the site owner or manager- preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If you have no success, contact Fylde Council on 01253 685685 or alternatively 


Trade Association's

Choosing a caravan to live in

It is strongly recommended that you consult a solicitor before entereing into any agreement to buy a park home.

The Council can only provided general information about any of its licensed sites.

You are advised to check the national park home residents association's-

Once licensed, all sites will be subject to routine inspection by office's of the Resources Directorate, and all complaints are investigated.

Camping sites must be similarly licensed, and similar standards apply.

 Public Register of Protected Site Rules

The Mobile Home Act 2013 requires that the operators of protected residential park home sites deposit site rules with the local authority.

The Council is required to keep a public register of site rules.

Site rules which have been deposited with Fylde Council can be viewed

Site Rules Carr Bridge (1.8MB - PDF)

Clifton Fields, Peel Road, Peel, Lancashire (1.7MB - PDF)

Greenfield Caravan Park, Lytham Road, Freckleton, Lancashire (1MB - PDF)

Lamaleach Caravan Park, Lamaleach Lane, Freckleton, Lancashire (1.1MB - PDF)

Lyndale Caravan Park, Preston New Road, Peel, Lancashire (1.7MB - PDF)

Mowbreck Park, Mowbreck Lane, Wesham, Lancashire (131KB - PDF)

Pool Brow, Poolfoot Lane, Singleton, Lancashire (1.1MB - PDF)

Windmill Caravan Park, Preston New Road, Peel, Lancashire (64KB - PDF)

The rules listed above have been written by the site owners and not Fylde Council. This may not be an exhaustive list and will be added to as they are received.

Contact Us

If you require any further information regarding Caravan Licensing you can contact us by:

By Phone: 01253 658658
By Fax: 01253 713113
By E-mail:

By Post
Licensing Team
Fylde Borough Council
St Anne's Town Hall
Lytham St Anne's